Pages

Friday, July 17, 2009

Word Thursday

I like words. Everyone says that and it's a bit of a cliché, but it's true. I like weird, pretentious words. I like words that sound good and seem apt. And I consider myself literate, but I use too many of the same words over and over. I'm prone to forgetting new exciting words before I have a chance to use them.

These are some reasons behind one of my 101 in 1001 goals: Learn 150 words. I want to learn new words that I'll actually use, but also new ones that are just fun. Plus, I thought adding a regular feature to this blog might be fun and just might help my erratic posting schedule a little.

So, Word Thursday, everyone.

The first word is oubliette.

a secret dungeon with access only through a trap door ~The Canadian Oxford

I think this falls into the fun rather than useful category, but you never know; I'm going house hunting this weekend and perhaps I'll find a cozy little oubliette to fill with yarn and books and spend long winter nights toiling over incomprehensible readings. Or perhaps that'll be all I can afford!

1 comment:

  1. I use that word sometimes. The concept of an oubliette was a room which one could get into but then couldn't escape (because the door was in the ceiling or otherwise inaccessible). This makes it quite a good metaphor for some things. As well as sounding very nice.

    ReplyDelete