Pages

Friday, January 15, 2010

Words words words

I've fallen behind on my word-learning. To be honest, I'm having a hard time remembering most of the words I've learned as part of this project of mine. But I'll press on, since I like words.


Lacustrine


1. of or pertaining to a lake.
2. living or growing in lakes, as various organisms.
3. formed at the bottom or along the shore of lakes, as geological strata.


~Dictionary.com

Photobucket
Just a scarf in progress to add colour. Kind of lake-coloured maybe? Okay that's a stretch.

Termagant

–noun
1. a violent, turbulent, or brawling woman.
2. (initial capital letter) a mythical deity popularly believed in the Middle Ages to be worshiped by the Muslims and introduced into the morality play as a violent, overbearing personage in long robes.
–adjective
3. violent; turbulent; brawling; shrewish.


~Dictionary.com

Pother


–noun
1. commotion; uproar.
2. a heated discussion, debate, or argument; fuss; to-do.
3. a choking or suffocating cloud, as of smoke or dust.
–verb
4. to worry; bother.


~Dictionary.com

Incarnadine

1. blood-red; crimson.
2. flesh-colored; pale pink.


~Dictionary.com

I don't really think I'll ever have the occasion to use "termagant," given that accusing women of shrewishness is not an acceptable course of action these days, but I still like the word. Words describing colours are always useful in a knitter's vocabulary, though.

Just 123 words to go!

0 comments:

Post a Comment