Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

First bread

I bought some yeast soon after I moved into this house, with the intention of trying to bake some bread, but never got around to it until yesterday. Here's my first bread-baking attempt.

Photobucket

Bread without a timetable, from Smitten Kitchen

Other than leaving out the wheat bran since I didn't have any, I followed the recipe pretty closely. The lack of time table for this bread was liberating, and I could see myself making it again even on a busier day than yesterday. I used buckwheat flour, like Deb did, but I'm not sure I'd do that again. It has a very distinctive taste that I wasn't really prepared for. Still tasty, though. Very dense and moist.

I suspect the oven in this house runs hot, since the bread was pretty much done in half an hour on 450F, without the extra 5-20 minutes at 425. I left it in for another 5 minutes anyway.

Photobucket

The loaf turned out kind of lopsided, but that's okay!
Now, what to make next? As if I need encouragement to eat more carbs. Heh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment