Pages

Monday, November 01, 2010

Halloween/Samhuinn in Edinburgh

Let's start this NaBloPoMo with some pyrotechnics! That's what I like to hear.

Photobucket

Last night, the Beltane Fire Society put on a show through the streets of Edinburgh to represent the arrival of winter. As we waited for the parade to come through, I was suprised and bemused to see it preceded by a zombie walk - I'm a little annoyed I didn't have the presence of mind to take some video as a gory zombie walked towards me mumbling "Staaaarbuuuucks" and grabbing at my chai latte. Priceless.

Photobucket
St. Giles' Cathedral looking spooky

The Samhuinn parade itself was impressive. It started on Castle Hill and wound down to the big show at West Parliament Square in the shadow of St. Giles. Body paint, costumes, puppetry, dancing, drumming, and, of course, fire pervaded the scene. Although I'm not very familiar with the mythology of Samhuinn, and I couldn't always follow the story or identify the characters, it was really fun to watch.

Photobucket
Fiery crowns

Photobucket

Apologies for the quality of the photos - they are all screen captures from the mediocre video I took. Here are some of my favourite moments, and you can see all of them here.


A red character accosts my boyfriend with a mysterious note.


The denizens of summer march to the oompa loompa theme

What did you do for Halloween?

1 comment: