Pages

Friday, September 09, 2011

mini-skeins of doom

I have loads of sock/fingering weight leftovers that will eventually become parts of my Beekeeper's Quilt. In some cases, I can get three or more hexipuffs out of a pile of scrap, but for now I've decided that I don't want to make more than two from each colour. What to do with the leftovers once I've made two hexipuffs? Since I can't pass up the opportunity to dye yarn, I've dyed some mini-skeins.

Photobucket

The top and bottom mini-skeins were originally a minty-green colour - yarn I used for my Selbu Modern. The top one I dyed with Wiltons Leaf Green and the bottom with Wiltons Black. Wiltons black is supposed to be a tricky food colouring to dye with, since application of acid (necessary for the dye to set) makes it split into its constituent colours, aka "breaking." I was actually quite excited to "break" black here... but as you can see I failed miserably. This is pretty solid black. Haha. Oh well.

My favourite is the bluish one in the middle. I would happily make a sweater out of this colour! It was originally neon green yarn from my Twisted socks. I overdyed it with Wiltons Royal Blue. The picture below is a bit closer to the actual colour.

Photobucket

The neon green glows through from the core, while the outer fibres took on blue and purple. One day maybe I'll try to replicate this effect on purpose. I'd love to have a whole skein of sock yarn of this. (Or even more, for the aforementioned sweater.)

In any case, I'm excited to inject some different wild colours into my hex quilt.

(Oh, and in that last picture, note a soon-to-be revealed FO blocking... :D)

6 comments:

  1. I love repurposing yarn by overdyeing it. Love the colours you got, that last picture looks cool :) Can't wait to see your next batch of puffs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so pretty! I really need to learn to dye yarn...

    The other thing you could do with leftovers is swap them on Ravelry! There are a bunch of swapping groups, and people are always looking for sock yarn minis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all three of them! I'd like to see a close-up of the bottom one, just to see how the black split - very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you dyed them! The middle one is my favorite too. Such a beautiful blue!

    Lina
    photoknitdog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hexipuffs are going to be a RIOT of colour. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete