Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

WIP: wee flags

The stranded colourwork portion of my Sweet Bunting cardigan is complete. Next up - i-cords.

Photobucket

I did the colourwork back and forth, as written. Previously, I've only done stranded colourwork in the round, so this was something new. And you know, it wasn't as horrifically terrible as I imagined it would be!

I've never steeked anything either, and I thought that for 8 rows of colour pattern, I could probably stand doing it back and forth instead of rewriting the pattern to involve cutting and slicing. Rowan Pure Wool DK seems like it would be a terrible yarn for steeking in any case - it's pretty smooth and not at all sticky. Have any of you steeked with it? How did it go?

Photobucket

The main problem I had doing colourwork on the purl side was that apparently I can't purl in "English" style for the life of me. (This is funny because I know I've heard some English-style knitters say that they can't learn how to purl continentally. To each their own...) I'm a continental knitter (a picker) normally, and for colourwork I hold one colour in each hand. My right hand knits English (throws), and my left hand knits continental. On the purl side I ended up holding both colours in my left hand so I could "pick" both of them. This probably could have done all sorts of terrible things to my tension, but it looks okay, so I'm not going to worry about it.

More WIPs over at Tami's Amis

16 comments:

  1. it looks absolutely gorgeous - the bunting is so cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks fantastic, I also love the two colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good! I do two handed stranding as well, and I am an English knitter. Though I do have trouble purling contiental. I've only ever done a Norwegian (?) purl using my left.

    So originally the pattern was to be steeked? God, I am so afraid of steeking! I really need to get on it because I love those Icelandic sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the pattern was written to be knit flat. No steeks. I think if it had already included the information for steeking I would have tried it, but I didn't want my first steek to be in a pattern where I'd have to figure it all out myself.

      Delete
  4. Its so pretty. I really like the colors

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sweater is so adorable! The bunting pattern alone adds major cuteness! I think that as far as the steaking is concerned that you made the right decision, it isn't that huge of a project anyway, so it isn't like you are doing too much purling. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a darling pattern! I've run into patterns where different colours are left off on different ends of the knitting, so sometimes you have to knit across in one colour, slipping the stitches for colour two and then make your way back the other way to work colour two, slipping the stitches for colour one. Much better than too many ends to weave in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is seriously impressive!!
    Love the colour as well
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking great! I'm a continental knitter too and when knitting stranded I use one hand - but each strand of yarn wrapped around different figer - if this makes sense to you? I find it much easier that way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping by from Ravelry WIP Wednesday. :-)
    Very cute! I love those colors together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the purple in the sweater - bunting - so coool. Haven't done any color work yet in knitting and have no clue what steeking is. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am an english knitter, and yup..have trouble with a continental purl, but I kinda have this half arsed, keep my fingers crossed and hope everything looks OK, type of knitting when using 2 strands of color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great little pattern, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, it's going to be adorable!

    ReplyDelete